Even though this year whizzed by me soooo fast... and plenty of things didn't get done, I did get a few things accomplished fitness-wise.
* Improved my 5K time to under 24 minutes. In June at the Meet Me Downtown 5K, I did just that. 23:47. I course, I thought I would die during it... but it showed me that you can do anything for 24 minutes, including run as fast as you can in 100 degree weather.
* Ran a half marathon. I hadn't done one in 3.5 years... and I'd only done that one. This one was more challenging because it had that mountain in the middle. And I still finished in less than 2 hours. This just proved to me that training works. I did the work and the mountain wasn't a problem. It also showed me that with a little planning, I can get more running in. It also reminded me how much I love running long distances.
* I ran a lot. Not the 1000 miles I envisioned. But, when I tell my friends that I ran 760 miles this year (I'm estimating here for the runs I will do today and tomorrow), they seem pretty darn impressed. (And think I'm crazy as a loon, but what am I going to do about that?) That is the same number miles from my house to my friend in Salt Lake City's house. And, I did run much more than last year. I will be setting myself up to do a 1000 miles in 2012. I think I can learn from my mistakes of 2011 in order to accomplish this goal. Like not to think I can make up miles that I missed the month before. Tracking it all month by month gave me a pretty accurate picture of where I messed up. I'm not complaining. Just saying.
* I ran in six events this year. Three 5ks, a 10K, an 8 miler, and a half marathon. I think that is the most events I've ever done in one year. And though two events were pretty small, I did win my age group for them. Note to self, continue to enter small, local events so I can take home things like t-shirts and Christmas ornaments that the general entrants didn't get.
* I'm eating a lot less processed junk. It's a process and like anything, it takes some time. I know I can't rip the ice cream out from My Cute Husband's hands without major complaint. And the kids think cold cereal is just the cat's pajamas. But we are working on it. It also helps that a Penzey's spice store opened here in the spring and I am cooking like mad so I can justify another trip to that store. My kids are quite sure they sell some sort of "mom heroin" there!
How did 2011 end up for you?
Next up... goals for 2012!
Fitness Friday bloggers - welcome!!