Sunday, April 3, 2011

Baaaa!

For those of you have read the book Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen (Vintage), you know that Chia is introduced as a "superfood"... and like 95% of everyone else who read the book, besides wanting to suddenly run an ultra marathon, I ran out and bought some chia seeds and have been using them in my morning smoothies.  I don't think I am running any faster, harder, or more efficiently at this point, but, there are a lot of other factors involved... like quite possibly the chocolate covered cherries or the Caffeine Free Diet Coke that counteract any positive reactions that might have occurred.

I figured why not try and grow some of it as well?  I ended up at Native Seed Search... the local store is in my city.  (Though my husband pointed out that it would just be easier to buy a Chia Pet... millions of people have been growing these seeds for years on hippos, puppies, and kittens while not realizing they were growing a superfood.)  While I was browsing among the tomatillo and squash seeds, I found the desert chia seed.  It not only promises to be a great herb, but a beautiful ground cover as well.  I hope that this is true, because there are patches of my ground that really need to be covered!  Thankfully they sprouted right away.  I am not sure how long before I should plant them in real pots, but they look kind of cool among all the tomatoes and peppers I have that are working on being real plants as well. 

Will it make me run faster?  Is Runner's World going to call me to be a cover model next month? Am I the next unknown endurance athlete about to make a grand appearance because I am consuming chia seeds?   As much as I would like to believe all of this, I am known to be a bit of a daydreamer... but maybe all the omega 3s and other "healthy stuff" that these seeds have will make me live a healthier life in general... making me a better mom and wife.  I think that's what I really need.... the ability to leap through the grocery store in a single bound or drive through the drop off line at school with the speed of a flying bullet.....

No comments:

Post a Comment