Saturday, August 28, 2010

The end is near!

Not the end of the world - the end of summer!  At least that's what I hear is happening in other parts of the country.  I was very skeptical to hear this until this morning when I got up and while it was still muggy, it was slightly cooler than it has been in the past few blistering weeks.  Trust me, I'm an expert on this.  I've had sweat running down my elbows in the past few weeks while standing completely still in the shade, not to mention the sweat that's run all over me while actually *running*!  There is a change in the air, and while it may not be completely obvious to the average human, because really it's still a good month until the thermometer will be under 100ºF for the year, I am quite confident that fall is on it's way!

Too bad my run this morning was completely me in survival mode.  I was thinking what a great run it would be since it was slightly cooler, but, suddenly, my stomach was hurting.  And not just a little bit.  A lot.  The top, the bottom, and everywhere in between.  It was like having a side stitch and stomach cramps all at the same time.  If I didn't have this race in a week that I've bought and paid for, I would have turned tail and gone home... but, since I haven't run more than 6 miles in quite a while, and my Labor Day race is an 8 miler, I felt the need to prove it to myself that it can be done.  I went into what I fondly call "slog" mode - a slow jog... in which little old ladies and their petite dogs were passing me.  I probably looked as horrible as I felt.  When I was at 8.5 miles, I decided to walk the rest of the way home not needing to feel like I should prove anything else to anyone, even though I was still 3/4 mi away from my house.  I had "slogged" 8.5mi already, so really I had proved it to myself that it could be done.  Hopefully on Labor Day my stomach will cooperate!  And, of course, once I got home, showered, and breakfast in me, I've felt fine ever since.  Figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment