Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Wha???

The history of calculating my running mileage...
When I started running, I went by what the car odometer told me. 

Then I started running places I couldn't drive my car, like running/bike paths.  I found online maps that told me how far I was going.

I ended up with a Nike Plus to plug into my iPod nano.  I didn't trust it just because my same every morning 4 mile run could be listed anywhere from 2.92 miles to 4.1 miles.  I mostly used it as a history of when I had run so I could keep track of mileage someplace else.

Now, I have graduated from a dumb phone to a smart phone and am discovering the many free running apps that the world has to offer.  I am trying a few out to see which I like most, but what they all seem to have in common is that my tried and true 4 mile morning run is not 4 miles.  It is 3.85 miles.  All of this time I thought I was running 4 miles and it was just not true!

Luckily, it's a very fixable problem.  I ran down my street just a tad further this morning and came in at exactly 4 miles without even really trying.  I wish all problems were this easy to remedy! (Getting kids to do homework comes to mind first)

Do you have a running/exercise app that you think I'll use?  I'd love to try it out!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! My Nike+ lies to me, too! I've got a Garmin on my birthday wish list.

    Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

    ReplyDelete