Thursday, January 27, 2011

Run to Eat or Eat to Run?

It's no secret that I like to eat.  But, I think it's also no secret that I like to fit into my jeans.  And Daughter has also instilled in me the fear of large underwear.  She has told me that she never wants to be big because she didn't want to fold large underwear.  I had never thought of it that way, but, yeah, I don't want to have to fold large underwear either!  This is where meal planning and running come together.

Sorry for the sideways photo... Blogger is a bear sometimes!
I don't know if nutrition can be considered a hobby, but in a weird sort of way, I think it has become mine.  I get a basket of fruits and veggies every two weeks from Bountiful Baskets.  You can end up with lots of common foods in your basket, like apples and lettuce, or lots of odd things, like salad savoy or persimmons.  I consider it a challenge to figure out how to eat all of it. I'm paying for it, and think the nutritional variety is great, so I might as well get the full benefit out of it!  I bring home all the fruits and veggies and really can't wait to start cooking and preparing.  I'm not sure if my family is grateful for it... there have been a few failures... well, maybe more than a few, but I'm grateful that they are game to try some more.  Either that or they just don't want to make their own dinner!

I also feel that by trying to make good nutritional choices, my running performance will be enhanced.  Maybe I won't be as tired.  Or have enough energy to sprint that last half mile.  At the very least I won't feel like a bag of rocks is in my stomach while running.

On the flip side, because I eat all these fruits and veggies AND run, I feel justified in eating waaaaaay too many sweets.  My sweet tooth is a little out of control sometimes. Well, a lot of the time.  Like if there is anything mint chocolate around.  Or if I find a stray M&M on the floor.  Pathetic I know.  It's best just not to buy it in the first place and then I won't be tempted.  And run lots.  Because I think - wow - I just ran four miles... that's equal to around 400 calories... so, like four cookies?  Or a very large ice cream.  Self control is so very hard.

Do you run to eat or eat to run?  A little of both?

No comments:

Post a Comment