Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sometimes you just have to run...

This should not be on the front page of my local newspaper.  These things happen in other cities, other states, far away, where I can be sympathetic and sad and then go on with my life.  These things should not happen four miles from my house.  At a grocery store I have frequented often over the years.  And especially at one that I was planning on going to yesterday morning at about the same time all of these surreal horrors were happening.  I didn't go.  Daughter is learning to drive and I decided that it is too early in her driving career to tackle such a major intersection.  We went home instead, and I went on to a different grocery store, not knowing the castastrophe that I had missed being involved in.

Once I heard about it, like many others, I was shocked and hurt.  I hadn't gone on my planned morning run, but decided, most out of character for me, to go on a late afternoon run.  Because I could. Because my family was safe.  Because I wasn't put through the horrors of living through a shooting incident.  Because I needed time to think and grieve for all the families who had their lives changed forever yesterday. 

Runnning is for health, exercise, and fun.  Sometime it's about mental clarity.  For sorting your thoughts and feelings out. How many other people have a hobby that can be used for so many things?

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you live s close to that tragedy but glad you could run some of the frustration out. Running frequently clears my mind; I call it my therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Its so tragic and must be so difficult for you being so close to the situation. Running helps me with clarity, too. Sometimes its my therapy. So glad you didn't go to that store on Saturday and are here to still run.

    Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry this happened. We were in Phoenix at the time and it is surreal to be so close (for me) to such a huge tragedy.

    ReplyDelete