Friday, March 30, 2012

Shoes revisited...

Yes I have a lot to say about shoes and I didn't say it all the other day.

Minimalist shoes.  Intriguing, no?  Even if you don't think they are for you, it is food for thought.  Has the shoe industry been just trying to sell us ultra padded shoes that won't keep us from injuring ourselves?  Or is this latest fad just a ploy to, um, sell more shoes?

I suppose for me in the end it really doesn't matter which.  I love my Saucony's that feel like I'm running on pillows.  But, I really wanted to see if a pair of minimalist shoes were any good either.  Not necessarily to run in, but walking around in doing normal things.  Hopefully just to strengthen my feet in general.

This led me to the Running Shop where I managed to find myself walking out the door with a pair of brand new shoes. 

First I need to compliment the Brooks company for coming up with such a great box.  You can't help but smile while looking at it.  If I was a hoarder, I'm sure I would keep it front and center in my piles of boxes and such so that people could smile before gasping at my house that would surely look like it could swallow them at any point.  But, since I'm not a hoarder, I am reduced to keeping my box out of public view and hoping that my fellow running blog readers will get the same enjoyment out of this box that I do.

And the shoes?  I went with a pair of Brooks from their Pure Project.  I've worn them a few times now and am very surprised at how sturdy they are.  I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't the snug, secure feeling I got.  Or the cushiness.  And this is coming from a girl who normally runs on fluff.  Yes, they are very lightweight, but you expected that right?

I have yet to run more than across the street in them.  I'm a chicken at heart and don't want to end up hurting myself.  I don't know that my stride is a minimalist stride.  I am tempted to run a mile or so in them just to say that I did.

Minimalist shoes?  What do you think about them?  Fad?  Or something more?  Do you own a pair?  How is that working out for you?

And if you're visiting from Fitness Friday - welcome!  Thanks again to Jill for hosting this blog hop!

10 comments:

  1. I do not own a pair. I like my cushy Asics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of minimalist shoes, but so far, my legs haven't. I think they've grown accustomed to the cushier ones, and aren't used to engaging the muscles needed to wear those with less support. But I plan to keep trying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Saucony girl but I must say this new minimalist thing is very intriguing! This post has me a little more brave to try a pair out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new shoes look great! Allan's a fan of minimalist shoes and they are growing on me but I'm not sure that I can handle long runs in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a girl that loves her cushy running shoes but I have jumped into the minimalistic band wagon and got a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and really like them. I ran about 1 mile in them initially and immediately saw a difference in my stride and posture as I ran. I have taken it slowly because I don't want any injuries. But I definitely like the concept.

    Maria
    Http://thefitnessgirlkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just looking at those Brooks yesterday, what do you think? My sports dor just suggested doing some minimalist running to help with injury prevention, interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got a pair of Brooks trail shoes yesterday and was noticing the box :) I have a pair of Merrell pace gloves that I do not run in...just walk around in. I got some Kinvaras and cannot run in them...I think they're too small or something. I'm liking my Newton Gravity and Mizuno Wave Rider 15 shoes for the time being. And am learning how to not be a slam-bam-thankya-ma'am heel striker. Can't wait to hear how you like those Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The box is one of the things that makes me love Brooks so much. I don't know if I'm cut out to be a minimalist runner, but I'm thinking about getting a pair of Brooks PureFlow to use as everyday shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Minimalist shoes are a tough concept for me to wrap my head around but at the same time I'm oddly intrigued and very curious. Maybe it's time I give it a try :)

    My husband loves his Vibrams!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to try these, but I think I am just feelin' the fad. So I'm going to hold off for now. The running store folks always put me in the mega-shoes for over-pronators anyway. The whole "right shoe" thing is honestly kind of a mystery to me, but I've never had an injury that was due to running on its own, so the mega shoes must be working (injuries due to pregnancy...another story....can't blame the shoes for that....)

    ReplyDelete