Sunday, February 7, 2010

The last post title...

I'm thinking I was overly optimistic. Why? Yesterday I went on my second trail run of 2010. Unfortunately, it will be my last trail run - or any run for the next two weeks.

My husband and I decided to start our Saturday out right and get a run in before all the Saturday chores and activites got in the way. We went to one of our favorite places to run, not too far from our house and decided that we would again run about 5 miles. I was really happy about this, because somehow I had only run twice during the week. Mostly because I stupidly had commited to making a baby blanket for a shower Friday night. I should have started on the day that I found out the lady was pregnant! So, long story short, blanket making took over running. I hate it when that happens. Towards the end of the run, in a place that obviously I should have been paying more attention, my toe caught on a rock, I tumbled forward, and weirdly, my knee caught another rock which stopped my fall. I looked down to see a lot of open flesh. That was the last time I looked at my knee. I lay on the ground for a few minutes until I got myself together, got up, and found that I hadn't even scratched my hands up. Seriously, it is just my knee! But, there was a 3/4 mi walk back to the truck. At the trailhead parking lot I got a few strange looks from some mountain bikers who were looking at the blood running down my leg. I smiled and assured them we were going to get it stitched up. I also found out that when you hobble into an ER with a paper towel covering a gaping wound and a bloody leg, they take you right in. Yes, we spent two hours there getting taken care of, but, I never had to wait very long. It must have been because it was such a nice day out. No one wants to go to the ER unless they REALLY have to on a gorgeous day like Saturday was! So, here I am, eight stitches and one tetnus shot later (yes, I sheepishly admitted that the last shot I can remember getting was when I was 16 years old!). This morning the pain meds have worn off and my knee is stiff and sore. Getting around is a chore. I can't wait to try to get in the car! The worst part of this all is that I have a mandatory 2 week vacation from running. What will I do with myself???

My husband was thrilled though. He not only got to see my patella which he and the doctor oohed and aahed over, but he also got out of working on our bathroom remodel. I still have dishes, laundry, and vacuuming staring me in the face. Time to get the kids recruited... that's why I had them - isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment